Are you tired of trying to figure out how to cook frozen tamales the right way? Surely you must be aware of the mainstream way of cooking tamales: Steam. But what if I told you there was more to cooking frozen tamales than just steaming them?
If you want to try new ways of cooking tamales, today is your lucky day. I did digging, asked for some recommendations, and after days of research and tasting, I have finally found some of the best ways of cooking frozen tamales. So, grab your plate and get ready.
3 Ways – How To Cook Frozen Tamales?
1. Cook frozen tamales in the oven
Cooking frozen tamales in the oven is a quick and easy way to enjoy this delicious Mexican dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the frozen tamales out of their packaging.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.4. Enjoy!
Once they’re out of the oven, you can enjoy them as is or with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, salsa, or cheese.
I personally like to eat my tamales with cheese and guacamole, along with a side dip of sour cream.
2. How to steam frozen tamales
Tamales are delicious, traditional Mexican food that can be enjoyed year-round. While fresh tamales are always best, frozen tamales are a convenient alternative. Steaming frozen tamales is a matter of a few minutes.
- First, your steamer with water up to the determined line.
- Then, add the frozen tamales and cover the pot. Steam the tamales for 10-15 minutes.
- Once they are done, carefully remove them from the pot and enjoy!
Steamed tamales are soft and very tender as compared to oven-baked frozen tamales. The best way to serve steamed tamales is along with a fresh avocado salad and some french fries to add some crunch.
3. How to pan fry frozen tamales on a skillet?
Tamales are a popular and delicious Mexican dish that can be made at home with a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time. While traditionally, tamales are made with corn husks, they can also be cooked in a pan without them. Here’s how:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the frozen tamales in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or salsa. Enjoy!
My Way To Cook Frozen Tamales
- First, I remove the tamales from their packaging and place them on a plate.
- Then, I heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, I add the tamales to the skillet and cook them thoroughly for 10 minutes until cooked properly.
- Keep flipping them constantly to ensure it’s cooked evenly.
Pan-fried tamales are just what you want for a quick snack or a meal, depending on your craving. Just serve with the dip of your choice and let the party begin.
How Do You Steam Frozen Tamales Without A Steamer?
Although most people think of steaming when it comes to tamales, it is possible to cook frozen tamales without a steamer.
Method 1 –
- Place the tamales in a colander or metal strainer.
- Set them over a pot of boiling water.
- Make sure that the tamales are not touching the water.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the tamales are heated through.
Method 2 –
- Wrap the tamales in damp paper towels.
- Microwave them on high for two to three minutes.
- Be careful when unwrapping the tamales, as they will be hot and steamy.
No matter which method you use, steaming frozen tamales without a steamer is quick and easy.
FAQs – How to cook frozen tamales
Should I thaw frozen tamales?
It is best to thaw frozen tamales in the refrigerator overnight. Tamales can also be thawed in cold water, but this can make them a little mushy. Do not microwave tamales to thaw them, as this will make them tough and dry.
Can you steam tamales when frozen?
No, you cannot steam tamales when frozen. To steam frozen tamales, first, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw for a few hours. Then, fill a pot with about an inch of water and bring it to a simmer.
How do you defrost tamales quickly?
By submerging them in hot water. Tamales can be frozen for up to two months. To defrost, place them in an air-tight bag or container and submerge them in hot (not boiling) water.
Let them sit for about 30 minutes or until they’re thawed. You can also microwave them on high for 2-3 minutes, but be careful not to overcook them.
How Do You Prefer To Cook Frozen Tamales?
Now that you know how to cook frozen tamales, it’s time to start making your tasty feast. Cooking frozen tamales is easy and only requires a few simple ingredients and steps. You can either bake, steam, or fry your tamales. So, which one is it going to be? Get some tamales and find out yourself. And do not forget to serve them with your favorite side.
I’m Rachel, and I love food. I especially love writing about food – reviewing different brands and items, and sharing my thoughts on new frozen foods that hit the market.
Food is a huge part of my life, and I love trying new things. That’s why I’m so excited to be working on my blog Pickfrozenfood.com. I will be always innovating and coming out with new review, and I know that I’ll be able to try lots of great food with them.