For seafood lovers, crab is the ultimate feast! Crab legs are my favorite, and baking them over the years has been my go-to recipe. Sometimes, you might not have a big enough pot to fit those crab legs in, so baking them in the oven is the best option ever.
Most grocery stores sell crab legs that are pre-cooked and frozen or thawed from frozen. Because the crab legs are already cooked, you would just need to heat them up enough to bring out their flavor and juiciness. I would tell you about my favorite recipe for cooking frozen crabs in the oven here, and also a dipping sauce recipe to go along with it!
Easy Oven-Style Baked Snow Crabs Or King Crabs Recipe
How To Cook Frozen Snow Crab Legs In The Oven
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Take a baking sheet and place the crab legs beside each other. Overlapping the crab legs might increase the baking time.
- Place the baking sheet with the crab legs on the middle rack of the oven. Run the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the crab legs and check if they are hot enough. If they aren’t, put them back in the oven and keep running the oven for five minutes before you recheck the temperature. They should be hot enough to touch.
- Serve the crab legs while they are still hot, with dipping sauce.
How To Cook King Crab Legs In The Oven
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the crab legs on the baking sheet without having them overlap each other.
- Place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and run the oven for 18-22 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and check if the crab legs are hot enough. If not, run them in the oven again and check after 5 minutes. Keep repeating this step until the crab legs are hot to the touch.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Things To Remember While Cooking Frozen Crabs In The Oven
- You can directly cook your frozen crabs from the freezer, but the crab shell loses its crunch due to the extra moisture. For a crunchy shell, thaw the crabs first by putting them in the freezer overnight. You can also wash the crab legs in cold water and pat them dry with paper towels for quick thawing.
- Avoid boiling crab legs to thaw them because it loses flavor and releases a lot of water when cracked open.
- Cook the crab legs in the oven until you see them releasing steam uniformly. Otherwise, keep heating them up in five-minute intervals.
- For this recipe, you can add as many crab legs as you want, but avoid overlapping them on the baking sheet if you want to save time.
- You can use a crab cracker, a nutcracker, or kitchen shears to crack the crab legs because hurting yourself with sharp crab claws is not an option.
- I would recommend serving the crabs hot and steaming, but once they are baked, they retain their taste and flavor even when they run cold.
A Crab Dipping Sauce Recipe You Will Love!
What you will need
- Minced garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Juice
Let’s Get To The Recipe!
- Take a pan and melt four tablespoons of butter in it.
- Add four minced garlic cloves and ¼ portion of salt and pepper to the butter.
- Stir the butter for half a minute, and then turn off the heat.
- Add ½ tablespoon of lemon juice to the butter. Your sauce is ready!
This dipping sauce would go well with any frozen or fresh seafood dishes. So go ahead and try this today!
How Long Does Frozen Crab Take In The Oven?
Frozen crab legs take about 25 minutes in the oven to bake properly at 450°F pre-heated temperature.
Can You Cook Crab From Frozen?
You can cook crabs directly from the freezer, but I recommend you thaw them first. Apart from letting them rest in the freezer overnight or washing them with cold water, you can also try steaming them. Place the crab legs in a container and place the container over another filled one-third with boiling water. Cover the container with the crab legs and wait for 10 minutes. If the crab legs aren’t hot enough, steam them some more.
How Do You Know When The Frozen Crab Legs Are Done?
Frozen crab legs mostly come pre-cooked, so all you have to do is heat them up in the oven and let their own moisture cook for you. One thing you can do is that check if the crab legs are steaming in the oven. If they are hot to the touch and steaming, they are ready.
So, When Are You Baking Your Next Batch Of Frozen Crab Legs?
Crab legs surpass any seafood enthusiast’s wildest dreams whenever they have them. And the best part is that frozen crab legs save time and prepare quickly in their own juices with a little bit of heat. And my recipe is going to prepare that perfect meal with a bit of rice and dipping sauce on the side. Over time, you will perfect the time required to cook the frozen crab legs in the oven in one go – to reach the texture you prefer. I hope you had fun knowing and experimenting with this frozen crab legs recipe!
I’m Rachel, and I love food. I especially love writing about food – reviewing different brands and items, and sharing my thoughts on new frozen foods that hit the market.
Food is a huge part of my life, and I love trying new things. That’s why I’m so excited to be working on my blog Pickfrozenfood.com. I will be always innovating and coming out with new review, and I know that I’ll be able to try lots of great food with them.