Let me be totally honest right now. There is nothing better than having a frozen grilled chicken after a very long day. I feel like it makes a perfectly balanced meal. The right amount of protein, a low-fat amount, fills the stomach right up.
So, if you, too, love grilled chicken like me, you have come to the right place. Today, I am going to tell you how to cook frozen chicken on grill. I will also be sharing my favorite grilled chicken recipe that can be prepared in no time.
Grilling Frozen Chicken The Right Way
Cooking frozen chicken on a grill is easy and can be done in several ways. The most important key to success is to use indirect heat, so the chicken doesn’t get overcooked on the outside before the inside is cooked through.
Another helpful hint is to cook the chicken thighs first and then move them to direct heat for the last few minutes to crisp up the skin.
Follow these steps for grill-roasted frozen chicken that’s moist, flavorful, and perfectly cooked every time.
1. Preheat your grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit using both the upper and lower vents open. If you’re using a charcoal grill, wait until the coals are ashed over and have lost their flame before cooking.
2. Next, remove your frozen chicken from its packaging and place it on the grill. If your chicken pieces are too large to fit comfortably on the grill, you can cut them in half using a sharp knife.
3. Cook the chicken on indirect heat for 20-30 minutes or until it’s cooked through. To check if the chicken is done, use a meat thermometer to insert it into the thickest part of the thigh. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Once the chicken is cooked through, move it to direct heat and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and golden brown.
5. Remove from the grill and enjoy!
I personally like to serve my grilled chicken with a simple salad and some roasted potatoes. Sometimes I even add some fries to the mix.
How to cook frozen chicken on grill on a barbeque?
Grilling frozen chicken on a barbeque is probably my favorite way of cooking chicken. Especially when I have people over, we light the backyard barbeque and enjoy the cooking process together.
Here are my tips on how to grill frozen chicken perfectly every time:
- Use a gas or charcoal barbeque. If you are using charcoal, make sure the coals are white hot before you start grilling. The charcoal will provide a nice smokey flavor to the chicken.
- If your barbeque has a cover, use it! This will help the chicken cook evenly on both sides.
- Grill the chicken for about 10 minutes per side or until fully cooked through. I like to use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Be careful not to overcook the chicken, or it will be dry and tough.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest for a few minutes before cutting it. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it even more flavourful and juicy.
You can add some lemon juice and herbs to the chicken before grilling, or you can brush it with barbecue sauce while it’s cooking. Either way, I’m sure you’ll agree that grilled frozen chicken is a delicious and easy way to feed a crowd!
Is it OK to grill frozen chicken?
There’s no need to thaw chicken before grilling, but doing so will help it cook more evenly and reduce the overall grilling time. So if you have the time, plan ahead and allow your chicken to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Otherwise, just put the frozen chicken on the grill until it’s fully cooked.
I have personally grilled frozen chicken many times with great results, so I can attest that it is definitely doable. The key is to ensure that the chicken is grilled properly before serving. Utilize a thermometer to check for doneness, and make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long should you grill frozen chicken breast?
You should grill frozen chicken breast for about 20 minutes or until they are cooked through. Chicken breasts are safe to eat when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken breasts before eating them.
I mostly grill my frozen chicken breasts for about 15-20 minutes. I put them on the grill at about 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Sometimes, I’ll marinate them before grilling to give them some extra flavor.
FAQs – How To Cook Frozen Chicken On Grill
Can I grill the frozen chicken without thawing?
Yes, you can grill the frozen chicken without thawing. However, make sure that the chicken is completely coated in a marinade or coating before grilling, as this will help to keep it from drying out.
Also, be sure to reduce the cooking time by about half if you’re grilling frozen chicken – it will take longer to cook than fresh or thawed chicken. Finally, be careful not to overcook it, as this will make it dry and tough.
How long do you cook frozen chicken on the grill?
It really matters on the portion of the frozen chicken, but usually, around 8-10 minutes per side should do the trick. Make sure to brush them with some olive oil or bbq sauce before putting them on the grill, and be sure to flip them at least once, so they cook evenly.
Grill Your Frozen Chicken Now!
Congrats! I’ve now shared my secrets about cooking frozen chicken on the grill in the right and the best way. Never forget to add some sides to your grilled frozen chicken, be it salad or fries, or a little bit of both.
So, take that chicken out of the freezer, stop chilling and start grilling. You will definitely love this way of grilling frozen chicken.
I’m Rachel, and I love food. I especially love writing about food – reviewing different brands and items, and sharing my thoughts on new frozen foods that hit the market.
Food is a huge part of my life, and I love trying new things. That’s why I’m so excited to be working on my blog Pickfrozenfood.com. I will be always innovating and coming out with new review, and I know that I’ll be able to try lots of great food with them.